Travel Advice/Travel Tips - In Europe,
use public transportation
Public transportation in Europe is normally more efficient than similar
systems in the United States. We you travel in Europe, we
recommend that you consider using buses and subways when the distances
are too long for walking.
Public transportation is usually less expensive than taking a taxi and
just as quick. If you are traveling near rush hour, using the subway is
much quicker than riding either taxis or busses.
We recommend several strategies for taking advantage of Public
- Use the Internet to find the home page of the city you will be
visiting and look for information on public transportation.
- Determine if there is a ticket package that you can purchase in
advance of your trip.
- In many cases, tourist-oriented ticket packages are available at
a discount only if you purchase them within your home country.
- If you are unable to pre-purchase tickets, see if there is a
“tourist package” that you can purchase after you arrive.
- The best places to make this inquiry are at a Travel Information
Center or the Central Train Station.
- If you cannot find a discounted ticket, you should consider
that purchasing a “ticket book” might allow you to avoid searching for
coins or standing in line to purchase tickets.
Many tourist oriented cities feature “circular” bus routes stopping in
the location of major attractions.
- Most “tourist” buses allow the ticket holder unlimited re-boarding
and are a convenient way to visit the major sites in the area.
Finally, a word of caution. It can be a dangerous world, either at home
or abroad. When on vacation travel, we avoid taking public
transportation during either the morning or the evening rush hours. We
do so for pragmatic, as well as security reasons.
- On the pragmatic side, we do not appreciate being packed like
sardines (try a Tokyo or London subway at 5 P.M.).
- On the security side, the greatest risk of terrorism is during
rush hours, when it can result in the most damage.
- See our article
Safety recommendations for using taxis, trains,
to help you assess whether
mass transit is for you.
Top of page
Travel Tips Home
If you need to find information about Destinations or other Things
Travelers Need To Know, try Googling ThereArePlaces.