Travel Advice/Travel Tips - Make a
list of those important numbers
Create a list of account numbers for credit cards, ATM cards, traveler
checks, and other documents in order to control the damage if you should
lose any of these cards while on vacation. Before you leave on your
vacation, take a few minutes to compile a list of the following
• Credit Card Number(s) including expiration date, billing contact
telephone number and the telephone number to call in case of loss. If
you have a scanner or access to a copier, take your cards and copy both
the front and back (approximately ten cards will fit on a single page).
• ATM number(s) including expiration date, billing contact telephone
number and the number to call in case of loss. Do not include a list of
your PIN numbers for these accounts. Pin numbers should be memorized and
never included in written records.
• Traveler Check sequence number(s) including amount, brand, and
contact telephone numbers (The issuer will provide a list of the check
numbers but having more than one copy is useful.).
• Passport details (passport Number, where issued, expiration date).
Include a copy of the page in your Passport that includes your photo,
passport number and where issued. Be sure and enter your name and
address in your passport on the page provided (use pencil).
• Driver’s license number, issuing agency (e.g. state) and expiration
It is easy to underestimate the value of creating a list of these
details. Remember, the telephone number for calling in a lost credit
card is on the credit card you just lost.
- The only foolproof way to describe your credit card is to provide
your account number, which is, also, on the card you just lost.
- The best way to mitigate issues related to losing vital documents is
to create a list containing the important numbers described above.
- Keep the document with these critical data stored in your money
We keep a record of our critical documents details in a computer file
and save copies to our PDA and print copies that we keep in our
money belt for reference, should disaster strike while we are on
vacation. We recommend that you encrypt or password protect any
computer file containing personal information.
Top of page
If you need to find
information about Destinations or other Things Travelers Need To Know,
try Googling ThereArePlaces.