|Things Travelers Need To Know|
Travel Advice - Didn't read the book? Hire a guide
Many travelers have good intentions, but will not find the time to do the homework necessary to make a vacation great.
We recommend that you get a good guidebook and use it to pre-select the attractions you want to see. Guidebooks provide interesting background information on the most important attractions and can be used to create an itinerary focused on your interests. (See our article Choosing the right guidebook for you. If you do not have time to read a guidebook, see our Destination Guides for a concise overview of the best places to visit in the countries we cover.)
Unfortunately, many travelers attempt to “cram” for the trip by reading the guidebook during the flight to their destination. Guidebooks are not action packed reads and the last minute "crammer" usually falls asleep with the book on his or her chest. Then, on arrival, this traveler grabs a tourist map from the hotel and heads out to tour the city.
If you have not had time to read your guidebook, we make the following suggestions:
1. Read and print out our Destination Travel Guide for the location.
2. If there is a local tourist information office at your destination, stop in, explain your interests. and ask for assistance.
3. Most tourist information offices can put you in contact with a guide who is an expert on the area's attractions and knows the ins-and-outs of when to visit the attractions with the least amount of difficulty.
4. If there is not a tourist office, your hotel can usually put you in contact with a qualified tour guide.
5. If you are visiting a museum or gallery, ask if they offer guided tours or automated guides (CD-ROM or tape players) and use the one that you prefer.
Yes, we know that guides may be expensive and that tours take time but vacations are the journeys of a lifetime and you should make the most of the experience. Good guides and quality guidebooks are fundamental investments that will help you enjoy your visit.
If you need to find information about Destinations or other Things Travelers Need To Know, try Googling ThereArePlaces.