Looking for a bargain abroad?
Do the research before you go.
Souvenirs of trips are a pleasant, visual reminder of the fun that we
had during a vacation. Buy affordable items that are personally
meaningful and reflect something unique about the destination.
- If you are planning to take a trip to a destination that is well
known for something you yearn to own (ceramics, art, jewelry, rugs,
tapestries, etc.) there is a simple rule of thumb that you should
consider before you depart: do your homework.
- If you can take the time to do some research, you will usually
return with a bargain that is a stunning addition to your
It will be easier to value specific treasures, if you spend some time
researching your destinations to discover the places known for specific
- In essence, you should prepare for your purchase by researching the
signature products of specific areas to determine what constitutes a
- Guidebooks are a good source of information on unique items to
purchase by country.
- For many travelers, value is defined as something they cannot easily
find in their hometown, is authentically unique, and related to the
destination they will visit
- For example: ceramic, decorative tiles from Portugal that were
manufactured and painted by Portuguese artisans
- Once you have done the research, create a list that includes, by
location, the treasures that you would like to pursue on your trip. Use
this as a guide when shopping during your travels.
While in Australia, we encountered large displays of a wide variety of
types of Opals. The differences between the stones were mind boggling,
complicated by wide ranges in quality, color, clarity, and size.
However, we had done our research before leaving the US by visiting
several jewelry stores and examining what could be bought for specific
prices. When we began shopping in Australia, we were able to determine
the opal jewelry that was a bargain (yes, yes, we bought).
Top of page
HomeIf you need to find information about
Destinations or other Things Travelers Need To Know, try Googling