Travel Advice - Pickpockets
Be alert while in the area of tourist attractions or wherever there are
- Crowded tourist areas attract petty criminals, pickpockets, and con
- Always be on guard when anyone you do not know approaches and tries
to attract your attention.
The “approach” is often the opening move for a two-person pickpocket
- While one person asks you questions or, perhaps, spills something on
you, the second person will dip into your pocket or purse, removing
valuables while you and the pickpocket’s companion are cleaning up the
- Another ploy is the “bird dropping on your pants”, when a pickpocket
team fling something on your shirt and then lift your wallet as they
clean you off.
Be alert, pickpockets do not fit a specific profile and may be children
or women with babies.
- In Europe, avoid groups of children who often create a distraction
while picking your pocket.
- Gypsy children in various destinations in Europe are famous for
surround and distract scheme.
- They approach you as a crowd and then begin jostling your and
attempting to reach into your pockets.
- We suggest that you learn a few key phrases in the local
language so you can call for help.
- We have found that an angry display of emotion and call for
“police” will solve the problem.
The best protection from a pickpocket is to
buy and use a money belt.
HomeIf you need to find information about
Destinations or other Things Travelers Need To Know, try Googling