Travel Advice - ATM and credit card
Use your ATM card as a source of cash when you travel internationally.
Before you leave home, make sure you deposit enough cash in the account
linked to the ATM card to meet your cash needs on vacation.
Use the credit card for purchases, hotels, and dining.
- The value of the credit card lies in the theft and purchase
protection it provides you through the card’s provider.
- In addition, the conversion rates provided by credit card companies
are reasonably competitive.
For security, keep both cards in your
until you need to use them but carry them in different pockets of the
money belt. Return the cards to the money belt as soon as possible.
Don't put them in your wallet.
Be especially careful when using your ATM card since it is linked with
your bank account.
- Do not carry a written record of your ATM card PIN. However, if your
bank account is the source of cash for the vacation, make sure that your
travel companion knows the PIN in case they need to get cash in an
- If you are uncomfortable with the potential risk of using and ATM
card, consider the new
cash cards for travelers.
When entering your pin, shield the key pad from view.
- One of the new ATM scams is for thieves to install a camera on
the ATM that captures the number on your card and the keys you push
to enter your password.
- If you think you are being observed by a person, gesture
as if you were hitting a couple of buttons, to confuse anyone who
might be trying to observe the pattern you are using to enter
- Finally, be sure to read our article on
HomeIf you need to find information about
Destinations or other Things Travelers Need To Know, try Googling