Travel Advice - Group packed items for ease of use
When you take a multi-stop vacation and will not need to unpack
completely at each location, it pays to have the clothes in your luggage
organized into categories of use. If you are looking for a particular
pair of socks, you do not want to look through everything in your
luggage to find them. Instead, pack all like objects either in close
proximity (i.e. in the same area or by layer) or together in a clear
Proximity packing is based on logic.
- Place like things in the same areas of the suitcase (e.g. in
pockets, in the bottom, around corners, etc.).
- Also, place complimentary clothing items in proximity (e.g. socks
near underwear, t-shirts near shorts, blouses near skirts or slacks).
- Proximity packing may not be as space efficient as other forms of
packing (like the good old cram-it-in method): however, you will
discover that items are easy to find.
Many companies provide packing systems that are good solutions for
organizing the clothes in your luggage.
- Eagle Creek offers “Pack-it cubes” for various clothing items.
- Magellan offers a similar product.
- Tumi provides a packing system using “Pack Cubes”.
- These types of solutions are relatively expensive but are durable
and may be a good investment for you, depending on your style of
- These “bag within a bag” storage systems are great for packing
shirts in a manner that prevents wrinkling, while taking up a
minimum of luggage space.
Pack smaller, durable items in small plastic bags.
- For instance, we carry our toiletries in a clear plastic, gallon
freezer bag (Ziploc), which allows us to identify the toiletries bag.
- In addition, placing your toiletries in sealable plastic bag
provides some security against leaking bottles.
- Use the same type of bag to store socks, undergarments and rolled
- Keep electronics (shavers, trimmers, cords, rechargers, memory
cards, etc.) in a cloth bag with a cinch top for easy opening.
- Cloth is more durable for items with sharp edges.
Top of page
If you need to find information about
Destinations or other Things Travelers Need To Know, try Googling